Ludwig von Mises wrote this essay in 1940 from Geneva, where he lived after Nazis forced him out of Austria and his apartment was ransacked by German troops.
“Progressive” Attacks on Capitalism Were Key to Hitler’s Success
Published on Mises.org Date: February 7, 2019 – 2:00 PM
Author 1: Ludwig von Mises 
The following, written in 1940, is excerpted from Interventionism, An Economic Analysis, which was originally part of Nationaloekonomie , the German predecessor to Human Action.
Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini constantly proclaim that they are chosen by destiny to bring salvation to this world. They claim they are the leaders of the creative youth who fight against their outlived elders. They bring from the East the new culture which is to replace the dying Western civilization. They want to give the coup de grace to liberalism and capitalism; they want to overcome immoral egoism by altruism; they plan to replace the anarchic democracy by order and organization, the society of “classes” by the total state, the market economy by socialism. Their war is not a war for territorial expansion, for loot and hegemony like the imperialistic wars of the past, but a holy crusade for a better world to live in. And they feel certain of their victory because they are convinced that they are borne by “the wave of the future.”
It is a law of nature, they say, that great historic changes cannot take place peacefully or without conflict. It would be petty and stupid, they contend, to overlook the creative quality of their work because of some unpleasantness which the great world revolution must necessarily bring with it. They maintain one should not overlook the glory of the new gospel because of ill-placed pity for Jews and Masons, Poles and Czechs, Finns and Greeks, the decadent English aristocracy and the corrupt French bourgeoisie. Such softness and such blindness for the new standards of morality prove only the decadence of the dying capitalistic pseudo-culture. The whining and crying of impotent old men, they say, is futile; it will not stop the victorious advance of youth. No one can stop the wheel of history, or turn back the clock of time.
- The latest The MasterFeeds Daily! paper.li/masterfeed?edi… Thanks to @RaphaelAhren #cameroon #tariffs 4 hours ago
- The latest MasterTech from The MasterFeeds! paper.li/MasterFeed/133… #forbesunder30 #metoo 7 hours ago
- RT @ReformedBroker: It's interesting that retailers Costco, Walmart, BestBuy and Target are among the top performers this year. Apparel is… 10 hours ago
- RT @Hipster_Trader: One year ago today twitter.com/realdonaldtrum… 10 hours ago
- RT @UNWatch: BREAKING: Ambassador Nikki Haley calls out 🇨🇦 Canada's U.N. "deal with the devil." In bid for UN Security Council seat, the Tr… 10 hours ago
- The #FinTech Newsletter for Dec 7 is out. Featuring “Top 20 Global Female Fintech…” nzzl.us/ba1ql2y and many more stories. 13 hours ago
- @MasterFeed's #News Newsletter for Dec 7 is out, featuring “An Arctic awakening” nzzl.us/tnlRdwh 13 hours ago
TagsAfrica Agriculture Asia bailout Banks Berkshire Hathaway bonds Brazil canada CapitalMarkets CBO central_banks chavez china Citigroup Commodities copper credit debt default Dollars economics EIA elections EU Euro FED Finance food ForEx France FX Gold goldman Gold Silver government Hedge funds HFT IFTTT India insider trading international relations Israel Japan Jobs LatAm Markets MasterFeeds metals Middle East Mining money Mongolia News NYSE Oil PDVSA recession SEC Silver Stats stocks SWF TARP Tech Trade trading Twitter UN Uncategorized United States USA Venezuela war zerohedge