>BANCO DO BRASIL EYES US LENDER
By Samantha Pearson in São Paulo and Andres Schipani in MiamiPublished: April 11 2011 19:08 | Last updated: April 11 2011 19:08
Brazil's biggest bank by assets and profits is poised to become the first in the country's history to acquire a US retail bank, as surging profits and a strong local currency pave the way for international expansion, according to people close to the negotiations.
State-owned Banco do Brasil is in advanced talks to buy Eurobank, a regional lender based in Miami, for an undisclosed amount according to people close to the negotiations. Acquiring the bank, which has three branches in Florida, would give Banco do Brasil a vital foothold in the US market as well as access to lucrative money remittances from the state's Latin American residents. Banco do Brasil later confirmed it had begun talks with the bank.
This article can be found at:
"FT" and "Financial Times" are trademarks of The Financial Times.
Copyright The Financial Times Ltd 2011
- The latest The MasterFeeds Daily! paper.li/masterfeed?edi… Thanks to @GlennKesslerWP @AlbertoMiguelF5 @rcallimachi #blockchain #demdebate 10 hours ago
- The latest MasterTech from The MasterFeeds! paper.li/MasterFeed/133… #madebygoogle #disneyplus 13 hours ago
- The #FinTech Newsletter for Oct 15 is out. Featuring “Ten innovations the Internet of…” nzzl.us/W1Ywbzh and many more stories. 19 hours ago
- @MasterFeed's #News Newsletter for Oct 15 is out, featuring “Barnier says new withdrawal deal on Brexit …” nzzl.us/OhHIP2m 19 hours ago
- #Libra launches finance.yahoo.com/news/despite-d… 20 hours ago
- #Softbank is now looking at novel ways to make money from its horrible investments. Since they’re not going up any… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 22 hours ago
- RT @MiamiHerald: OPINION from @nikkihaley: Venezuela is a repressive regime and has no right to join the U.N. Human Rights Council | Opinio… 22 hours ago
TagsAfrica Agriculture Asia bailout Banks Berkshire Hathaway bonds Brazil canada CapitalMarkets CBO central_banks chavez china Citigroup Commodities copper credit debt default Dollars economics EIA elections EU Euro FED Finance food ForEx France FX Gold goldman Gold Silver government Hedge funds HFT IFTTT India insider trading international relations Israel Japan Jobs LatAm Markets MasterFeeds metals Middle East Mining money Mongolia News NYSE Oil PDVSA recession SEC Silver Stats stocks SWF TARP Tech Trade trading Twitter UN Uncategorized United States USA Venezuela war zerohedge